Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Got to play me some Y Wing... I mean X Wing

Soo as many of you know, Friday night (April 5th) Games Workshop released the new Tau Codex for 6th Edition 40k... (I swear didn't 5th Ed just come out?) At any rate, one of my favorite gaming stores Outside the Box,the other being Top Deck Games (yeah, I said both in the same sentence. I ain't scurred.), having a midnight release night so I stopped through for a game of X Wing with one of the guys, Joe.

We played a 100 point game which seems to be the standard point value for X Wing. He had Darth Vader in a Tie Fighter Advanced and Boba Fetta in a Firespry-31 (Slave One upgrade). I took three Y Wings (Dutch Vander and 2 Gold Squadron Pilots.) The game was fairly tight all the way through, but I think being able to shoot almost every turn really helped alot. Having 3 shields and 5 damage points didn't hurt either as my Y Wings took a pounding from Vader. I can certainly see why he is so feared in the game. I even lost one of my Y Wings (a first for me).

All in all, Joe was the kind of opponent that you wanted to play against. At one point we argued over a rule that would let me shoot, I was trying to be gracious and forgo attacking as the rules (to me) seemed unclear as to whether or not I could attack or not. After a quick rules check it appeared that I could and scored a Crit (sorry joe). At any rate, I can see that as you have two players who know what they're doing this game can be alot of fun and tight all the way through to the end. I think going forward though I'm going to retire the Ion Cannon Turrent for a little while. Being able to shoot EVERY TURN is a huge advantage in that game. I think I'll practice using Ion Torpedos. I don't quite have the hang of those yet.

Feel Free to leave comments, questions or even your personal experiences with the game.

1 comment:

  1. So you're saying Joe argued for you to shoot? That's a rare kind of opponent. God bless him for his sportsmanship. :)

    ReplyDelete